Thread: Turbine XLV Light UAV helicopter for sale

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turbine XLV Light UAV helicopter for sale

My name is Paul.

This is actually the first time I have posted on AP Landings but have been a silent visitor for some time. I used to hang out at Runryder and Helifreaks a few years ago but this seems to be the place from AP now so here is my turbine UAV project that I want to sell as I just do not have the time required to bring it to completion. I have listed the specs below and with any luck, will manage to attach some images and videos of it after that! First though, I would like to share the reasons why I originally went down the large turbine route and also explain the thinking behind the design.

The Hobby Parts turbine conversion kit of the Vario gasser XLV kit is of very high quality (if expensive!) and I have used this as a basis for this UAV project. The helicopter is of course rather large but amazingly, it all breaks down and fits into a medium size hatch back car (Citroen C3) and is quick and easy to assemble/dismantle at the flying site due to the modifications I incorporated into the design. In fact, the most time consuming part of the assembly is installing the 4 tail rotor blades. The different landing gear is attached to the helicopter base plate using 4 x 6mm cap bolts plus the servo wire connection if the retracing gear set is being used. The helicopter is transported broken down with a ground fixture in place of the landing gear to prevent it from rolling over and also to protect the transmission below the base plate.

The philosophy behind the design was to have a large helicopter platform capable of lifting heavy payloads and be easily reconfigured to carry different packages according to mission. Following problems with vibration when first test flown, I removed 40mm from the main shaft and added a pair of intertia weights to the flybar. The results of this modification meant that the main shaft was no longer suseptable to being accidently bent when ground handling. It also increased the responsiveness of the cyclic control although it is still a very stable and easy to fly machine. The all up weight with retracting gear minus fuel is 19.3KG. Without the retracting gear it is somewhat less than this. Other modifications are listed in the specs below but please feel free to quiz me on any aspect as I am bound to have omitted something!

This helicopter is ready to go - just charge the batteries (of which there are 2 complete sets of both flight pack and ECU), add fuel, range check and you are off!

Notes on the videos: The dual wheels used on the retracting gear set have been temporarily transfered to the fixed gear for ease of ground handling although you will see a lot of mud being picked up from our club field here on the North Downs when I last flew it some 3 weeks ago on a rather bleak cold winters day! This last test flight was to prove the fixed gear and also the larger fuel tanks - both worked fine.

My asking price is £3, 800.

I will have to add another post with more photographs and video links as I seem to have used all of upload allocation with the 2 pics shown.

Airframe - basic overview

Vario XLV kit with Hobby Parts Wren Turbine conversion (carbon fibre
    version) with extended
    baseplate and quick attach/change custom retractable landing gear
    utilising Spring Air retracts. Fixed conventional gear and
    storage/transportation fixture also included.

Airframe in detail

Main shaft shortened by 40mm.
    Inertia weights installed on flybar.
    Hobby Parts CNC main grips.
    MAH 950 main blades.
    Enlarged capacity main fuel tanks installed giving 3 litres of usable fuel.
    2 oz fuel vent tank to prevent fuel spillage in flight and transit.
    Cupronickel gas feed pipe with shielding.
    Vario 4 blade tail rotor.
    Tail boom mounted tail control servo installed with duel path wiring and
    connectors.
    Additional drive shaft bearing assembly installed in tail boom.
    Green coloured cruciform elements installed in front and rear tail drive
    connection positions.
    Carbon fibre tail boom supports with spherical end bearings.

Engine/transmission

Wren MW54 2 stage turbine - 444minutes run time since new.
    Hobby Parts oil mist lubricated gearbox.
    ECU 7.2v 1900 mah Nicad packs X 2 parallel wired for redundancy.

Avionics

JR 2.4 gig DSM radio with 2 remote receivers installed below base plate
    and under tail boom.
    Dual main Rx power circuit using LiFe 2200mah packs with heavy duty
    switches for redundancy.
    CSM 560 tail gyro.
    CSM RL20 governor installed as overspeed protection for main rotor.
    Hitec 7955TG cyclic servos x 4.
    Futaba BLS 451 tail servo.

Additional Equipment

Vario 3 blade main rotor head (unused).
    Swash plate driver for 3 blade head (unused).
    Pair of MAH 950 main blades.
    JR DSX 9 transmitter.

IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    Last edited by FCM; 01-30-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Paul, Haven't heard from you in a while, hope all is well. I just build a machine, another gasser, so not in the market, but I wish you well in selling this.

--Plug for Paul, he and I were involved in some gasser AP development years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple4123 View Post
    Hello Paul, Haven't heard from you in a while, hope all is well. I just build a machine, another gasser, so not in the market, but I wish you well in selling this.

--Plug for Paul, he and I were involved in some gasser AP development years ago.
    I remember - I sent you a Benzine clutch! Nice to hear from you again Disciple and thank you for the good wishes. It's a lovely piece of kit and I am loathed to sell it but it will only be gathering dust if I don't.

Post Thanks / Like

PM sent