Thread: gyros on a pan and tilt gimbal

Post Thanks / Like

Default gyros on a pan and tilt gimbal

I admit that I am confused. I have a 3 axis camera gimbal on my Maxi Joker II. I have questions about gyro stabilization using futaba 10C Tx, 14 channel Rx and Futaba 401 gyros:

1)Where do you place the gyros?
    2)Do I need a seperate reciever?
    3)What channels do I plug the gyros?
    4) Do I need a Y-cord?
    5)Can I still control the pan and tilt?

Please help.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

Did you get my PM over at HF?

The DJI has a Gimbal Stab option you might be interested in.

Sorry for the hijack of the thread.
    Robert
    N.A. DJI Distributor
    N.A. Photohigher Dist..
    www.DJIUSA.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stabilization

I dit not know that. I am planning on getting DJI for my Jetcopter Cameraship.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Email me at Robert@birdseyemedia.com

Will talk.
    Robert
    N.A. DJI Distributor
    N.A. Photohigher Dist..
    www.DJIUSA.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wayneabonga View Post
    I admit that I am confused. I have a 3 axis camera gimbal on my Maxi Joker II. I have questions about gyro stabilization using futaba 10C Tx, 14 channel Rx and Futaba 401 gyros:

1)Where do you place the gyros?
    2)Do I need a seperate reciever?
    3)What channels do I plug the gyros?
    4) Do I need a Y-cord?
    5)Can I still control the pan and tilt?

Please help.
    Wayne,

The gyros are mounted one axis away of what you are stabilizing, and they must be in rate mode, not heading-hold mode. For example, to stabilize YAW of the gimbal, you would place it on the top stationary part of the gimbal. To stabilize roll, you would place the gyro on the outside, stationary part of the roll gimbal. To stabilize tilt, you could place it on the outside of the gimbal between the frames.

Just be prepared to deal with gyro drift. Its a common problem. That is why I went with George's Picloc IMUs which can measure gravity for tilt and roll. In this manner, the IMUs are mounted directly to the axis being controlled. For example, directly to the camera mounting plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pan & Tilt Stabilization

I experienced That drift while playing around with the unit. Where can I get the IMU's? Is that a DIY Drones item? One more thing; how do these guys stabilize a glass of water balanced on a gimble with gyros on you tube?

Post Thanks / Like

That stabilization that you are seeing are IMUs mounted directly to the axis being controlled. Look on my videos on Youtube and you can see the Picloc TR's mounted directly under the camera mount plate. George is a super nice guy. He's on this forum, or you can get some additional information from his website at http://www.rotorpics.com. You will need to register to see anything, though.

And of course, his devices aren't the only ones available that can do this. There are other IMU boards available that can do very much the same things. They just don't have the flexibility in programming like the Piclocs.

Post Thanks / Like

Default IMU's

Thanks for the info. I will pursue this info.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wayneabonga View Post
    I experienced That drift while playing around with the unit. Where can I get the IMU's? Is that a DIY Drones item? One more thing; how do these guys stabilize a glass of water balanced on a gimble with gyros on you tube?
    Link to the water video?
    Robert
    N.A. DJI Distributor
    N.A. Photohigher Dist..
    www.DJIUSA.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gyro stabilization

This should be the link on YouTube. If not just search for " Gyro stabilized video remote controlled head gimbal system ". George from Rotorpics has a nice IMU system. http://www.rotorpics.com/index.php?o...BpY3MuY29tLw====
    This is one of his videos.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SitXUbTlQIs&feature=PlayList&p=D7B443EFA7E 4104B&playnext_from=PL&index=0"]YouTube- Gyro stabilized video remote controlled head gimbal system[/ame]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY-FLIX View Post
    his devices aren't the only ones available that can do this. There are other IMU boards available that can do very much the same things. They just don't have the flexibility in programming like the Piclocs.
    I'm searching around looking at the different options, and can't seem to find many IMU options out there. Maybe I just don't know the correct search terms. Any help, names of other systems / links would be great!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Imu

Try and google picloc and sign up to get info.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I know how to find picloc, and I already got an email back from George with a quote (Thanks George!), I'm just curious when Sky-Flix said that there are plenty of other IMU boards out that do this.... I can find flight control boards like MK that can compensate for their own motion but don't get any feedback from the actual gimbal..
    Last edited by eat5hams; 09-13-2010 at 03:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I'm sorry. I should have been more clear. I was specifically referring to the Mikrokopter Flight Control Boards. They use MEMS gyros, but to the best of my knowledge do not have a magnetometer (that's what the compass add-on for the NaviCtrl board is for). There are also a number of projects using the Arduino chips that function as IMUs. Check out sparkfun for a source for the hardware. You will need to search a bit harder for the programming, however.

All of that being said, you still won't find anything as mature and as programmable as George's Piclocs. They are purpose built for this application. You have to ask yourself "How much is my time worth?". By the time you've sourced these other IMU hardware packages and programming, you could have purchased a set from George and had change to spare.

I'm certainly happy I bought them.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks sky-flix. By the way, George said there is a new version out that can stabilize on 2 axis with one unit, so that's really exciting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY-FLIX View Post
    The gyros are mounted one axis away of what you are stabilizing,
    I don't really understand why you place the gyro one axis away from what you are stabilizing?

When I use the gyro on my tail, it is on the same axis it is stabilizing.

Now I'm setting up a PS1 2x mount with 2 401 style gyros. I have them mounted on the actual axis. In other words for tilt, I have the gyro mounted on the vertical part of the camera plate. For pan, I have the gyro mounted horizontally on the main part of the gimbal that pans.

This seems to work but I have a lot of drift and they don't stabilize as good as they could it seems.

Care to explain why you suggest one axis back?

Post Thanks / Like

The DJI has a Gimbal Stab option you might be interested in.
    But the DJI stabilizing option won't work with a pan/tilt or pan/tilt/roll gimbal. It only works with roll/tilt and the axis must be proportional control not rate. Rate is the most common as most gimbals do not have direct drive or external feedback.

Care to explain why you suggest one axis back?
    You may get it to work by mounting the gyro on the axis to be stabilized but typically the gain values must be less to avoid oscillation. You don't have full control and adjustable of the PID control loop with most hobby type tail gyros. If you did it may be possible to mount the gyro on the axis being stabilized and tune it for maximum stabilization without overshooting and oscillation.

Gyros only measure rotation velocity. They do not measure acceleration. You really need to be measuring rotation velocity AND acceleration (IMU) if you want to mount the stabilizing unit on the axis of stabilization.
    Last edited by PhotoShip One; 09-14-2010 at 10:03 AM.
    DJ Vegh
    AZ ChopperCam
    PhotoShip One
    Mesa, AZ