Thread: Twin Boom SlowStick

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Twin Boom SlowStick

Received a package in the mail today. Can you identify this aircraft?

This is CactusJackSlade of RCG's original SS Dragon that is also shown in Greg McNair's Aerial Photography Book. I'm now officially a SlowStick Member.

The wings are connected very simply. Carbon tubes on the inner part and a carbon rod on the outer part that just slide in the tubes. Tape holds them on. I will be ordering another SS kit to make a straight inner section of wing. The sailplane wing w/ailerons that I just built will also strap on.

Original build thread, and the First Flight Thread. The build thread has the details of the carbon tubes with kevlar thread wrap and why it's done that way.

Here is a link to my gallery, I left the right click disable turned off, and the originals turned on so you can really zoom in. Just mouseover and/or click the large picture.

It'll be flying this weekend. Currently its raining.

Troy
    "Always In Motion the Future Is..." YODA

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on a slowstick "ball" enclosure. I have a simple idea for rotation and tilt could later be added. This could work with a large "O" ring, 4 or more rubberbands and a styrofoam ball. Review the photos and continue below.

In the photo's above it is simply hooked to show the concept. I could form a cup that can rotate, it could have little hooks for the attachment which in this case is rubber bands. There would be foam cushions inside the cup to help with vibration dampening. The rubber bands would also function the same. Having a ball that could attach like this would allow for the camera to be pointed in any direction without changing airflow. The "O" ring and rubber bands would allow the camera to be installed at any angle including straight down.

As a back up, I have a 2 oz 4' military parachute (good for 2 lbs.) that I could install between the cup and ball. If for some reason the rubber bands broke loose the parachute would open saving the camera and downlink. Of course it would take some skill to land the plane with CG off as my design is front mounted.

Another benefit would be in case of a crash, the camera would break away, the styrofoam would hopefully save the camera from damage. If nothing else, it would float.

I have a Canon A640 with the CHDK intervolameter hack (interval shutter). The camera and downlink would fit on their own inside the ball with a power battery. No servos or wires would be attached in any form.

BTW, the ball mount if used this very way would cost... $5

Comments/Suggestions?

Troy

Post Thanks / Like

Troy, the plane looks great. Last I talked with you I think you were on hold with the aerials or at least the Heli end of it??? What's the wingspan on that bad boy?
    I've been playing with a Great Planes 'Yard Stick' with Align Glow-wire around the wings. Did the night-fly balloon pop contest at NEAT last month with it.
    You have to appreciate the simplistic design of these 'Stick"-type aircraft and the abuse they can take. They also fly easier than almost anything. My first experience with night flying had me cirlcling the field at 2 feet or less, complete darkness with full confidence that if I hit the ground, well, I just landed that's all !
    Keep the photos coming. While I'm currently heli only AP I need a rig to shoot a corn maze next year. My Swift disappeared momentarily while filming
    the maze this year although I had it on the downlink. Not big enough to see at the distance I need.

Post Thanks / Like

Lookin' good Troy.

Can't wait to see the finished product. (so I can steal more of your ideas)

I'm most definitely getting a SS as a part of my equipment.

What about the Bi-plane design SS? Did you see that thread?

It's a "pusher" set-up.

By the way, looking at the plane photos above: Is that set up as a tail flier? Are you cutting your ailerons into the wing, or adding onto the existing surface?

dan
    Last edited by Guido44; 10-02-2008 at 06:40 PM.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the wingspan is 75".

Maybe the heli next year. I'm modding it and need money for parts.

Building that huge plane too.

I loved my yardstik. It was awesome. Sold it to my brother so I could build something bigger, he fly's it almost every day. Glow wire? you did it the hard way. There was a guy at our field that hooked some LED's together, took a copper tube and used it to drill a hole through the wing lengthwise, threaded the LED's through, then pulled the tube out. His entire wing would light up. For those of you that don't know, the yardstik is balsa and carbon covered in translucent pearl red monokote.

Dan, it's a pusher if thats what you mean. (prop behind the wing) I don't understand "tail flyer"? If you mean full flying stab it is not, It's an inverted V tail that requires internal radio mixing of elevator and rudder.

I have been following the Slowstick thread. Originally I purchased two yardstik kits to build one like this slowstick. I almost did it as a biplane but decided it would be to unstable. Long wings will fly smoother and level. That's why my "Envision AP Twin Boom" thread here was never completed and evolved into a large sailplane.

Look at the type of wings certain airplanes have. Stunt planes have short and fat wings. Smooth flying effecient planes have long narrow wings. Why build a short wing and fight to make it smooth.

This plane will allow me to change to any type of wing.

My offer is still there if you want to come up and go flyin'.

Troy

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Ailerons will be added with time and on the flat wing. I want to fly and get accustomed to it first.

Troy

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a question if twin boom slowsticks had been previously made.

It is built using about 3 slowstick kits. Two main wings, two elevators, 3 aluminum fuselages with hardware, two sets of landing gear (plus two small rear wheels) and a couple carbonfiber tubes and rods.

Troy

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the camera to fit the small 6" ball. Tomorrow I'll paint it with latex, then cover it with a thin layer of fiberglass. It was cut with a saw, and carved with a knife.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's some scrap carbon fiber I got from IRCHA 07, I knew some day I'd need it. Along with my ideas comes designing in my 'sign software' for cutting stickers. I cut removable stencils of the design and made to fit specific pieces of the scrap. Each piece is hand cut with a dremel and glued into place. Here are some of the items I've created.

What are those weird contraptions? It'll all come together soon, just waiting for that darn glue to dry.

Troy

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish that one day I could buy something and just fly it.

360 pan, (no tilt) but self leveling in roll and tilt. The camera enclosure is held in by the pan reduction gear. I can change the entire enclosure by loosening the gear, sliding the shaft out w/enclosure attached and install a different one the same way. I can also change the head to a much lighter no pan setup in just a few seconds.

CG is adjustable by sliding the dampening foam mount fore and aft on the two carbon shafts.

I have to get a regulator so I can get rid of the AA batteries in the camera yet.

See if you can see all the functions.

Almost ready, Hope to maiden it in a day or so when it quits raining.

I'll post more photo's tomorrow, my website is taking a while to process the other images and I need to go spend some time with my little girl

Troy

Post Thanks / Like

Too Cool Troy. Nice work.

By the way, it would be cool to go flying together one day. Uh....

after I get my SS in the air. lol

I've often fantasized of taking Aerial shots along the Chicago lake shore.
    Solder's Field, The Aquarium, The Chicago Marina. Awesome stuff on my to do list.

2 of us working together would be better.

dan

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Troy

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

First flight, really tail heavy, one slow circle to return. Almost...

Second flight, nearly perfect.

Photo's courtesy of my young son.

No camera onboard, battery for weight. About 10oz shy of a full load.

Landing gear not strong enough, First take off attempt spread the LG (landing gear) and the prop hit. I wasn't giving up, had a box of rubber bands handy. Rubberbands kept the main gear from spreading so I could take off. Broke a rear landing gear on landing. Fixed with velcro and flew again. LG won't cut it. It gave up on itself.

CG 3.75" from leading edge.

First test flight thoughts... This thing wants to lift, It'll carry it all, however there is a huge amount of drag compared to my sailplane wing with the same performance and lift (same flight characteristics and same flight speed). It took a much greater throttle input to maintain flight.

Would like to enclose the bottom of the wing.

Troy
    Last edited by Envision; 10-17-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

And finally the video.

The first flight was really tail heavy, I recalculated weight and was only 6oz from being fully loaded.

>>> VIDEO <<<
    5.5 minutes, around 20mb.

Troy

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Troy.

It flies faster than I thought it would.

Looking forward to seeing your first pics.

What camera are you using?

dan

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

It will fly slower, I'm still working on trimming and CG, only two flights so far, three if you want to count the first short, really tail heavy flight that landed in the weeds. Have to replace the landing gear before it flies again.

Flaperons will also decrease the speed. Of course, my sailplane wing will fly about that speed too. I've got more testing to do.

Video flight AUW 54oz.

Camera: A640

Troy

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Troy...congrats.

Mark

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

New update, after staring at it for about an hour today I found a solution to the longer landing gear for the twin boom modification without cosmetically changing the looks of the plane. One 3/16" x 36" rod for each side, they will connect in the center, follow the front edge of the wing to the tailboom... You can see the rest. After I get the other side made and install the camera mount I can determine the actual length of the landing gear needed. The newer slowsticks I've heard have Carbon fiber booms, you will most likely have to find aluminum to make this work. The stock landing gear screw even holds it in.

Troy